“Despite the fact that most current students said that they were not seeking to remain in the U.S. longterm, quite a few hoped to gain substantial work experience in order to help launch careers at home or abroad. Most were confident that they would do so in short order … Nearly two-thirds (63 percent) wished to extend their work experience past the term of OPT or Academic Training programs.”
– WENR: Career Prospects and Outcomes of U.S.-Educated International Students: Improving Services, Bolstering Success
Setting international students up for job search success in the US is always on the mind of career services departments. But with limited resources and staff, creating new programming specifically for international students is a challenge.
GlobalMe School is designed to help career services offices support international students. We offer a full suite of support options from online courses to in-person workshops that help your international students meet their career goals. Our career training teaches the basics of the US internship and job search to new international students while also introducing them to job searches outside of the US. We take students step by step through the search process while covering concepts specific to international students, such as:
- Overcoming cultural challenges in the job search
- American business communication and email etiquette
- Understanding H-1B challenges
- Finding companies that sponsor international students
- Talking to employers at career fairs about sponsorship
- Storytelling and professional branding in American culture
- Building formal business relationships and informational interviewing
- American style networking tips for international students
- Creating informative LinkedIn profiles and personal websites to stand out to employers
- Looking for opportunities outside the US
Below are international student career support tools for your department. Include them in your pre-matriculation outreach, orientation materials, and career websites.
This quick guide offers a step-by-step process that gives international students the insider information to succeed in their US internship and job search.
With practical advice for each stage of the US job search, students will learn how to find companies that sponsor H-1B, conduct informational interviews with alumni, impress employers during interviews, and negotiate offers.
GlobalMe webinars cover in-demand career topics for international students while giving students opportunities to ask questions. The webinar package includes slides that visualize important job search concepts (i.e. Informational Interview process). All webinars are available for purchase as a webinar package with new webinars added at no extra charge. Each webinar includes Q&A from international students and additional resources related to the topic.
- How to Get a Job in the US
- The Internship Checklist: Everything International Students Need to Know
- Informational Interviewing for International Students
- Advanced Topics: Navigating the International Student Job Search
- How to Build an International Job Search Strategy
Click here for access to the webinar package.
GlobalMe School offers career training courses designed specifically for international students in the US. We run the H1B Job Search Accelerator.
The cohort is limited to 100 students at a time. Students must apply to be accepted.
Additional Support for Career Services
In-person workshops are available during specific times of the year. Contact for schedule and pricing.
The US Job Search
This half day workshop covers the basics of the US job search including:
- American employer expectations
- How to find companies that sponsor international students
- American style networking
- Storytelling and informational interviewing
- Searching for jobs outside the US
The goal of our workshops is to teach and practice soft skills that students need to impress employers. Each workshop includes multiple interactive exercises so students experience and reflect on new behaviors.
Career Coaching International Students
Coaching international students through their job search takes creativity and flexibility. This short online course, Career Coaching International Students, teaches career services professionals how to adapt traditional techniques to better help international students navigate their US and global job searches.