Your job search begins with curiosity. Searching for OPT jobs is a lot of work. It takes a curious person to want to do it. From finding companies that sponsor work visas to adapting your cultural behavior to an American business style, it takes patience, persistence, and a little help. On top of that, it takes a lot of information. After all, you are learning how to search for a work. It’s a process.
The internship and job search for international students is competitive. To succeed in your search, you need to:
- Learn the skills American employers want from candidates
- Learn how to find the right job for your academic major
- Learn how to build skills outside the classroom
- Learn how to build soft skills that American employers want.
- Learn how to interact with people (online and in person) professionally
- Learn how perfect your professional image (online and in resumes/cover letters)
- Learn to navigate an internship and US job search
- Learn how to stand out to employers (at career fairs and during interviews)
For those that need some help, we offer solutions through GlobalMe School, the online career training platform for globally ambitious students.
Online courses for international students searching for OPT jobs
If you’re an international student who is interested in CPT internships or OPT jobs, GlobalMe School offers online courses for international students. There are free, paid, and subscription options.
- Improve Your American Small Talk
- How to Find Companies that Offer H1B Sponsorship
- 60 Minutes of Free Advice for International Students
- Not a course, but instead a recorded webinar featuring answers to the top questions from international students across the US. Click the link to see the questions answered.
- The Top 250 Companies that Offer H1B
- A list of 250 companies who have filed for H1B, as well as direct links to their career websites, the top jobs they sponsor for, LinkedIn profiles of recruiters, and the top way to get an interview at the company. This is designed to save you time in your search
- Introduction to the US Internship Search
- LinkedIn for International Students
- Interview Confidence for International Students
- The Internship Checklist (webinar recording and workbook)
Subscription: The H-1B Job Search Package
This is a $29 a month a subscription to all the paid courses above. It is designed specifically for international students in the US who are interested in CPT internships or OPT jobs that lead to H1B opportunities. If you are focused on finding jobs with H1B sponsorship or companies that sponsor H1B visas, this is the package for you:
- If you spend your time looking for companies that sponsor work visas, the H1B job search package is for you.
- If you’re searching for internships in the US, these courses will teach you how to find them.
- If you’re in a one-year masters program and want to get ahead of your competition before you arrive on campus, this package is for you.
In addition to the courses list above, H1B Job Search Package subscribers get:
- Free access to all webinar recordings (new international student career webinars are hosted monthly)
- Free access to new Guides (like the Internship Checklist)
- First access to new courses
There is no subscription commitment or contract. You are simply billed month-to-month. When you purchase your subscription, your access begins. When you no longer want to access the courses, simply unsubscribe. When you unsubscribe you will no longer have access to the course.
Career Coaching for OPT Jobs
Do the volume of requests, GlobalMe School does not offer individual coaching sessions. However, there is an option for group support. For students who want additional support during their job search, we offer a Passport package for $39 a month. The Passport Package includes:
- A private Facebook Group to ask questions, view live Facebook events, and expand your network with other international students in the US.
- 2x live monthly office hours for Passport members only. This is a 2 hour drop in session for Passport members to ask questions about their search and hear answers from other students.
Students who choose the Passport subscription ($39/month) gain access to a private GlobalMe Facebook group for international students in the US. The founder of Global Me School shares updates, conducts Facebook Live events for Passport members only, and answers the top weekly questions members have. (note: there are no services provided for resume, cover letter, or LinkedIn profile reviews).
When you purchase the H1B job search package, you have the option to select the Passport Package. Simply select the Passport Package instead of the H1B Job Search package. You will be billed at $39/month. After purchasing the package, you are directed to the Passport Facebook page and access is granted usually within 48 hours.
On-demand courses: No extra deadlines
All courses are designed to be on-demand. That means you take them when you need them. For example, you should start with the Introduction to the US Internship search and LinkedIn for international students so you understand the fundamentals of the search. Later, when you are closer to an interview, take the interview course.
Designed by a former Yale School of Management Career Coach
$29 is a lot to commit per month as a student. Investing in your global career is a big step. You can be sure that the information you get in these courses is legitimate. The courses are designed by a former international MBA student career coach who used to work for at Yale School of Management,
To learn about the history of GlobalMe School, read the about page, visit GlobalMe School, find Nicolle Merrill, the founder, on LinkedIn, and read her blog on the future of work and online education.
Also, watch the video introductions on the course pages to see if they fit your needs. Then preview some of the content. For example, on the LinkedIn for International Students Course page, you can preview how to find international student alumni in the US.